Tuesday 30 September 2008

Family Guy - S07E01: Love Blactually

I haven't watched family guy since early season five - but I thought I would check in and see what the season seven opener has to offer. This is a decent episode, and going from the thoughts people have on Family Guy season six I have observed - it may be an improvement.

Brian meets an atheist, liberal, and pretty all around 'hip' girl. As opposed to all of the girls he has been with lately who all have large flaws he cannot get past - but this girl seems fine for Brian. As they are about to seal the deal, Stewie tells Brian not to go through with it, as that is why all of his relationships fail - because they have sex too early. Cleveland also joins in on this story and may potentially reconcile and get back together with Loretta at some point soon. For the spin-off?

Something I noticed in this episode was a lot of pushing of liberal agendas. Apparently creator, Seth MacFarlane has been using Family Guy as a platform for these views for a while, and has become loud and persistent with them in recent times. I have no problem with these views, as I couldn't agree more for most of them - but this episode was the only time where it actually took me out of the show for a second and I realised that it was being ultra-preachy. One notable scene was the one in which Brian and Carolyn are having dinner and they joke about religion being stupid and God not existing for a considerable amount of time. I agree with them one hundred percent but it took me out of the show and I found it to be overly preachy. I have no problem with, and actually enjoy these views on Family Guy, but only to a certain extent - and where I don't have to think whether views are being pushed upon me, or if there is some left-wing agenda trying to be pushed by FOX.

I love the scene where Stewie keeps pronouncing 'ruined' 'rueened', and Brian, irritated by this, tries to correct him. It reminded me of the 'cool whip' scene in an earlier season. Chris and Meg nowhere to be seen - oh well.

No comments: